Sunday, October 30, 2011

She Thinks We're Just Fishing

My husband loves to fly fish. Teaching a three year old to fly fish is a bit unreasonable, so for now, Kenly throws rocks and watches Daddy catch a few. But don't think that Adam isn't teaching her to fish right now.  About a year ago, Nana and Papa bought Kenly a Barbie fishing rod that came with a butterfly bobber and a pink tackle box.  Her first time fishing was at the cabin.  She caught a few bream, and from that moment on, she was hooked.

When Mops and Pops were up visiting the second weekend in November, we spend the morning playing at the Mills River.  Adam caught a trout.
He caught my favorite type of trout--a brook.
Then he spent a bit of time clowning around pretending to "hook" himself.  Isn't his goofiness endearing?



Kenly started asking to fish, so Adam took her upstream with her Barbie rod.  Looking at this picture make me think of Trace Adkin's song, She Thinks We're Just Fishing.  The restrictions on the Mills River are really tough right now, so Kenly and Adam simply tossed an empty hook and bobber out into the river.  Kenly had a time reeling in the line.  Kenly was sure she was going to catch the big one at any moment.
I know the two of them will fish for years to come, and Kenly will have no idea how special the time fishing with her Daddy is until she is much older.  I know I didn't appreciated fishing with my Daddy until many years later.  What special quality time.

Kenly did have quite a few colorful catches--fall foliage that was floating lazily by.



Adam is training her well.  He's teaching her to love the great outdoors.  He's teaching her to love fishing.  She even has to kiss the fish before she throws them back.  He's also teaching her to love football.  He better watch out.  He's teaching her to become every man's dream girl.  Before he knows it, he'll be beating them off with a stick.

If you don't know the song, here are the lyrics.


Trace Adkins – Just Fishin’
I’m lost in her there holding that pink rod and reel.
She’s doing almost everything but sitting still.
Talking about her ballet shoes and training wheels, and her kittens.
And she thinks we’re just fishin’.
I say daddy loves you baby one more time,
She says I know, I think I got a bite.
And all this laughing, crying, smiling, dying here inside
Is what I call living
And she thinks we’re just fishin’ on the river side,
Throwing back what we could fry,
Drowning worms an killing time,
Nothing too ambitious
She ain’t even thinking about what’s really going on right now
But I guarantee this memories a big one
And she thinks we’re just fishin’
She’s already pretty, like her momma is
Gonna drive the boy’s all crazy
Giver her daddy fits
And I better do this every chance I get
’cause time is ticking
And she thinks we’re just fishin’ on the river side,
Throwing back what we could fry,
Drowning worms an killing time,
Nothing too ambitious
She ain’t even thinking about what’s really going on right now
But I guarantee this memories a big one
And she thinks we’re just fishin’
She ain’t even thinking about what’s really going on right now
But I guarantee this memories a big one
And she thinks we’re just fishin’
Yeah, she thinks we’re just fishin’
We ain’t only fishin’
This ain’t about fishin’



No comments: