Thursday, December 2, 2010

Garrulous and Gregarious

Kenly talks or sings from the time she wakes up until the time she goes to bed. At times she can be a bit whiny, but most of her chatter is highly entertaining. Here are some recent conversations that must be preserved for all eternity.

*************************************************************************************

While trying to potty last night, Kenly was flipping through a magazine. She got to an article and proudly proclaimed, "I know what this says."

Me: Oh really. What does it say?
Kenly: (pointing at the words) It says right here. I love Mommy. And right here. I love Daddy.
Me: Oh. That is really nice. Right here it says I love Kenly.
Kenly: No Mommy. It doesn't say I love me. I'm just a plain Kenly Shae.

I love my plain Kenly Shae. I wouldn't have her any other way.

*************************************************************************************

Kenly, Adam, and I had all just crawled into bed for story time. The fact that I was late on returning the library books hit me like a ton of bricks.
Me: Oh Poop.
Kenly: What's the matter Mommy? What smells like poop?
Me: Sorry sweetie. That was not a nice thing for mommy to say. I'm going to try not to say that any more, okay?
Kenly: You smell like poop.

*************************************************************************************
And just to prove that I'm still letting phrases slip that I shouldn't.....

Today we were all riding in the car together. Adam was recounting an event from the day when I proclaimed, "Holy crap." (I shudder to even type this.)

I hear this from the backseat...
Kenly: Holy crab, Daddy.
Me: I'm so sorry sweetie. Mommy really shouldn't have said that either. It's not a nice thing to say.
Adam: Yeah. Let's say Holy cow, okay?

Having a highly verbal child is an eye opening experience for me. Hearing her mimic me really makes me want to be a much better person. After all, out of the overflow of the heart, the mouth speaks.

No comments: