Friday, August 26, 2011

Whatzit, What's Up?

Here's the belly at 27/28 week mark. Getting bigger by the day.

I went to the OB/GYN for the mac daddy of all appointments yesterday. I had an ultrasound, my glucose tolerance test, and an appointment all in a two hour window. Adam and Kenly were there with me.

I was clueless that the ultrasound would be vaginal, so I was very thankful Adam was there to shield Kenly from a graphic anatomy lesson. I was disappointed that I only got to see the birth canal, my cervix, and the placenta. I wanted to see Whatzit playing, but it wasn't to be. We did see the baby's head. At one point we were able to see the hemispheres of the brain. After seeing the brain, Kenly started asking lots of questions about brains. She's so curious. In fact, we had to check out a book on earthquakes today because she overheard talk of Virgina's quake and wanted to know why. Before I get into all the "serious" new, I'll share a funny. Last night as I was tucking Kenly into bed we had a small conversation that went something like this....

K: Mommy, does the baby have a brain?
Me: Yes, remember you saw the baby's brain on the TV today?
K: Well, if the baby has a brain, I think it will be a girl.
Me: Maybe. We will have to wait and see.

I nearly laughed my tush off. The conversation went on much longer, but the funny part is recorded forever.

The ultrasound technician discovered that my placenta previa is about .5cm away from the opening of the cervix. It's too close for a natural delivery at this point. The placenta has to be at least 1 cm way from the opening of the cervix, but they'd like for it to be 2cms away. So, I've got some shifting to do. I'll have yet another ultrasound on September 20th to see if any shift has occurred. I'll be 32 weeks pregnant then.

While at the doctor's office, I also found out that I failed my glucose tolerance test. The magic cutoff number was 135, and I was a 140. So, I'm now waiting on a call to schedule a 3 hour glucose tolerance test. I'm not thrilled about this at all, but it's deemed medically necessary.

I was able to ask Dr. Simmons about some aches and pains. I got permission to use a heating pad whenever I need it. We also discussed the possibility of physical therapy if my RA symptoms intensify.

I have been having nose bleeds for about 5 weeks now. She looked at the blood work and didn't seem concerned since my platelet count was within a normal range. My iron level was also good, so that was a positive as well.

It was not the new I wanted to hear yesterday, but I have so much to be thankful for. I'm 28 weeks pregnant with a baby that appears to be right on schedule. I'm measuring well, the heartbeat is good, and if kicks indicate well being, this baby is going to be healthy and happy. God is in control. I'll just have to trust. Trying to take Pastor Dave's words from last week to heart....I don't want worry to be my master. I want to trust fully in the One who "knit me together in my mother's womb." He knows what is best.

No comments: