Wednesday, June 29, 2011

Whatzit Update

So...it has been awhile since I updated the blog with regards to pregnancy. On June 17th, we had our third ultrasound. I have no pictures or video to share, but I'm happy to announce that we have a healthy baby. We decided not to find out the gender. Nana, Papa, Adam, and Kenly went with me to the appointment. When the tech first looked, the baby looked like he/she was waving or giving us all a thumbs up. Kenly got really excited. The tech said she'd put $100 on the baby being a girl since Kenly thinks we are having a girl. She said kids are almost always right. Adam and I think this is baby is a girl too.

During the ultrasound, the tech called in the doctor after closely examining the baby's heart. (The baby's heart rate was 148 beats/minutes.) I was nervous until I found out that it is a common practice for a doctor to help with the ultrasound when the pregnancy is considered high risk. I was relieved when the doctor said the baby looked great. She even took a look at the "sex" to make sure everything was progressing well. She turned the screen and didn't give an indication as to whether we should be buying blue or pink.

The only problem she discovered was that I have placenta previa. The doctor did not appear worried at all. She made it sound like I had nothing to worry about. She simply ordered another ultrasound for 26 weeks to make sure the placenta moved off the cervix.

Yesterday was the 20 week mark. WE ARE HALFWAY THERE! It's hard to believe that we will welcome our baby in just 4.5 months. I celebrated the halfway point by going to see Dr. Simmons. She had not received any of the information from my last ultrasound. When I told Dr. Simmons that I had placenta previa, she placed me on pelvic rest which is a really nice way of saying no sex until further notice. She reserves the right to change her decision once the ultrasound report arrives, but for now, our intimacy is severely limited. I guess with my RA, my advanced maternal age, and the previa, she doesn't want to take any chances. And no sex is a small price to pay for a healthy, full-term baby.

Baby Brand did not want his/her heart rate taken yesterday. Once Dr.Simmons located the critter, he/she would zip clear across my abdomen. We'd hear the heartbeat and then a strange zipping noise as the baby found a new hiding spot. This critter takes after Kenly which means my hands are going to be very full.

I still get tired. I've only thrown up 3 or 4 times in the past month. As of this point, I've only gained three pounds. I was concerned when Dr. Simmons told me, but she says my belly and the baby are measuring perfect. Apparently I'm just redistributing my weight. I know this trend will not continue, so for now I'm doing the happy dance. My belly gets sore when I overdo it, and I'm suffering from the typical pregnancy curses--gas, constipation, and heartburn. One of my biggest complaints is my swollen gums. I know swelling and bleeding are normal, but I'm tired of discomfort every time I brush my teeth. This too shall pass, so for now I waddle forward until my next appointment when I can find out more.

1 comment:

Brittany Nicole said...

Glad to hear everything is progressing well! It sounds like Kenly is going to be a great big sister and very helpful! And I think it's exciting that you're waiting to find out the sex of the baby! Do you just buy neutral colored items in the meantime?