Saturday, August 22, 2009

Confessions of an Addict

I made you have to read this post, didn't I? Hello. My name is Rhonda, and I'm an addict. What type of addict, you ask? I'm ashamed to admit it. I'm addicted to a stuffed animal/lovey blanket. It all started so innocently. I know. I know. I'm 33 years old. How can I possibly be addicted to a stuffed animal? I now have to sleep with a blanket and a Benny Bunny, but let me start from the beginning.

When Kenly was born, the Rackleys gave her a Rutabaga Bunny from Bunnies By the Bay. The bunny blanket was so lovable and soft that I was determined that this lovely bunny would be her comfort object. She attached to the bunny, that we named Benny, almost immediately. All was well until I walked in one night and found Benny wrapped around Kenly's head. We had to make some adjustments to Benny by tying his blanket in knots. We even tried introducing Howard the Duck as an alternative, but it was far too late. Benny was her bunny buddy. How does this lead to my addiction you ask? Well, it would only be smart to have a back up Benny Bunny, so we ordered a $24.00 replacement bunny. Yes, you read that right. (I should have done more research before I selected such an expensive comfort object. But, oh well.) Adam named this bunny Bobby--the lesser cousin to Benny. The problem was that Benny smelled so new and clean. Benny Bunny, despite being washed several times has a distinct odor fragrance. So, I came up with a brilliant idea. Adam and I would sleep with Benny Bobby until he smelled a little less perfect. That way if Kenly puked on Benny or lost him in a store, we would have an instant replacement. Innocent, right? Adam never got to sleep with Benny/Bobby because after the first night I was hooked, instant addiction.

Don't worry though. If Kenly needs Bobby to replace Benny, I'll go cold turkey. I might not sleep for a few night, and I might develop a nervous twitch, but I'll quit so that my princess can sleep peacefully. After all, Kenly needs to sleep like a baby and that requires a Benny wrapped in her arms.



No comments: