Thursday, April 30, 2009

Proud

I am proud of Adam. I am happy to report that he has been nominated for "Teacher of the Year" at his school. I know that Adam is an amazing teacher; I've know it for a decade. He teaches high school students, past their prime in language learning, to speak Spanish. I've watched two groups of students use the skills he taught to travel and speak with native speakers in Costa Rica and Mexico. I'm amazed at how confident he makes his students in their skills. They take risks; they're not afraid to make mistakes.

In addition to teaching students a language, he teaches high school students to respect and appreciate a different culture. Do you have any idea how hard that is? So many of his former students are using Spanish on a daily basis in college to open doors--teachers, missionaries, business men and women.

Adam also teaches by example. Honesty, fairness, and respect are always present in his classroom. He demands that his students strive for the highest of expectations in every facet of the classroom. He won't take less than their best.

Every one votes today. Even if he doesn't win, he will be my teacher of the year....this year and every year.

No comments: