Tuesday, December 2, 2008

Who Knew?

Who knew that watching a baby grow could be so utterly fascinating? Everyday that I wake up, I realize that Kenly has changed over night. She's such a big girl now. She's even starting to lose some of that baby look. While I'm excited to see her grow and discover, I'm also amazed and a little sad at how fast time flies. It seems like just yesterday that we brought her home, but in reality, she's been with us for almost four months. Next Tuesday she'll hit that mark. She chews on things constantly now. Grandma says that "her gums itch." I'm sure they do. She'll practically dive out of my lap if my hand comes anywhere near her mouth. She'll bend in half to get a toy in her mouth. She's just so grown. About two weeks ago I let her sit in her Bumbo chair, and you can tell she really loves the new perspective. She looks so proud...like she's lounging in her baby recliner. Today I put her under the Baby Einstein mat in her Bumbo chair and she was double fisting toys. Last time we played on the mat, she was barely aware that there were toys hanging around her. Now she reaches out and grabs things with remarkable accuracy. She's also good at warming my heart. When she gets tired, she leans into me now and nuzzles against my neck and face. She can also break my heart with her huge tears. On Monday she actually discovered her feet. She hasn't grabbed them yet, but she is aware they exist. She rubs them together and she loves to "tap dance." Mama nicknamed her Thumper over Thanksgiving because even in her sleep she's tapping her feet. Kenly's also had some issues here recently. Her Daddy once called her "Princess Poops A lot," but I'm afraid the name no longer applies thanks to formula and rice cereal. The poor kid is so constipated and it kills me to watch her hurt. She's on prune juice and suppositories now, and tomorrow we might try some Karo syrup. I miss the diapers she produces when we were breastfeeding.

We had a lovely Thanksgiving with Mama and Daddy. I think I gained all my baby weight back thanks to the yummy turkey and ham and all the fixings. This Prednisone makes me ravenous....I can't eat enough. Couple a huge apetite with an endless supply of yummy food and you have a receipe for disaster. Good thing I'm feeling better so that I can start exercising soon or I'll be big as a house before Christmas.

Kenly also went to the mall in Augusta to sit on Santa's lap. She did great. Santa held her and sang to her, and she repaid him by pulling his beard. I don't know if that means that she's on the naughty or nice list. I did buy some pictures, but you'll have to wait to see them. I hope to get out Christmas cards and I want her picture to be a part of that process.

I'm realizing on a daily basis just how blessed I am to be able to stay home. I love watching every little first. I love reading books. I love singing songs and acting like a fool to get just one more smile. I love that she knows me and clings to me for comfort. It's the biggest ego boost I've every had. Motherhood is painful, beautiful, thrilling, and exhausting. I'm so glad I was able to join the ranks. What an amazing privilege and gift.

No comments: